UV light is a component of sunlight that comes between visible light and X-rays on the electromagnetic spectrum with a wavelength that ranges from 100nm to 400nm. The radiation in the UVC ranges from 250nm to 280nm. UVC LEDs deactivates virus, bacteria by penetrating into the cells of microorganisms and disrupting the structure of DNA molecules. The microorganisms lose their reproductive capability and gets destroyed.
The germicidal nature of UVC LEDs treats microorganisms that become resistant to chemical disinfectants as they are not able to develop immunity to UV radiation. This UVC LEDs provides new approach for spectroscopic applications in life science analytical and instrumentation. In addition, UVC LEDs recent price cut in its unit cost price is expected to witness UVC disinfection market to take over the UV curing market. The UVC LEDs market is expected to experience a strong growth during the forecast period due to this price reduction.
UVC LED technology is improving gradually due to commercialization with large markets in water purification and disinfection. UVC LEDs offers narrow wavelength for targeted and selective measurements that allow an easy inline monitoring of water quality and provides high light output for trace detection. Also, UVC LEDs can emit radiation in different patterns. For instance, the LEDs can be designed to emit in Lambertian pattern that allows the UVC LED to be imaged as a near point. In addition, UVC LEDs on aluminum nitride substrates are making great strides in output power and reliability.
Thermal management is also one of the major problem for UVC LEDs owing to the fact that only 5% of the power gets converted into light and the remaining 95% becomes heat which have to be removed from the circuit board. This is expected to hamper the market during the forecast period. In addition, UVC LEDs are becoming the technology of choice for designers that are developing a new breed of less costly spectroscopy devices, smaller and much more energy efficient. UVC LEDs also provides several advantages such as lower operating cost, ease of maintenance, faster data analysis among others that create further opportunity for UVC LEDs market during the forecast.
The UVC LEDs market has been segmented based on application and region. On the basis of application the market is segmented into medical and scientific, sterilization and others. Medical and scientific can be further classified into real time observing of cells, drug manufacturing and protein measurements. Sterilization can be further classified into tracking water and wastewater quality, ozone monitoring, preservation of fresh food. The global market value of sterilization is expected to grow at high growth rate due to its potential demand from this market.